Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Windsor Clockwork Orange Build

Before leaving Captiva, Florida, to return home to New Jersey, I had already ordered a Windsor Clockwork in groovy orange (my overwhelmingly favorite color) online from BikesDirect.com. The low price of $299, inclusive of shipping, was a no-brainer. I had to try this single speed thing. It seemed ideal for relatively flat terrain, such as on Sanibel/Captiva where I had just ridden about 100 miles. So it would be fun to take on our annual summer vacations to Delaware and New Jersey beaches. It also seemed suitable for my native terrain in Northern New Jersey, which abounds with hills, as a way of maximizing the short 30-50 minute weekday workouts that I squeeze in between business meetings and lunch.


Windsor Clockwork
Also, I figured that I would customize the bike, replacing cheap components with better ones, and adding aesthetic improvements to match my taste, all while learning more about bike construction and maintenance. A fun Spring project commenced.

Within a couple of days, I had ordered up the below grocery list of initial add-ons or replacements, totaling $389.14, for a final cost of $688.14. Still such a great deal on a nearly custom bike. My next blog entries will document the build as parts arrive, and of course, my initial riding impressions.


ACS 17 tooth freewheel cog
Cane Creek tan brake hoods
Chrome Presta valve caps
Cinelli tan cork handlebar tape
Knog Maxi saddle bag
Leather toe clip straps
MKS toe clips with leather accents
MKS Sylvan touring pedals
Nitto Noodle 44cm handlebar
Orange electrical tape for finishing handlebar wrap
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro II all white tires

Brooks B17 saddle in Mandarin















    No comments:

    Post a Comment